- Keep the doors locked unless I’m using them. Just in case a burglar knows I’m alone and tries to walk in.
- Stick extra pillows on his side of the bed. The pillows are basically insulation because our bedroom is chilly at night.
Category Archives: lists
Around the House
What are you into this month?
What were you into in August?
Linking up with Leigh Kramer to share what I’ve been into lately.
I am absolutely not an expert on boys. My information is based completely on my experience and observations from years of living with brothers and having friends who are boys. Many of these can apply to men as well as boys. This set of Field Notes is mainly addressed to girls.
1. Boys do not think the way girls do. (In general, I find people do not all think the same regardless of gender, so it is best to not assume anyone thinks like I do.)
2. Communicating through hints and subtlety usually does not work, so be clear about what you think, feel, or want.
A. Side Note: To improve the clarity of your communication, think about what message you want the other person to get. Summarize that message in one or two sentences. Tell the other person the summary.
B. Side Note: Just because you are clear does not mean they will do what you want.
2. Boys look for reactions. If you like something a boy does or says, respond positively and promptly. Do not try to play it cool or ignore them. They want a positive reaction. If they do not get it, they may try for a negative one.
A. Side Note: Sometimes they try for a negative reaction simply because it is fun to see girls get annoyed, embarrassed, or freaked out.
3. Boys generally love to watch girls get embarrassed, especially if they turn bright red! (See previous Note about reactions.)
4. Boys really can and do think nothing sometimes. This is very relaxing for them, so please do not stress them out by insisting they must have been thinking about something.
5. When young boys do not know what to do, they initiate a random, usually playful, physical altercation. (See earlier Note about reactions.) When one of my brothers was about ten, he saw me reading on the sofa and proceeded to fling himself onto, sprawling the entire length of said sofa and squishing my book. While freeing my book, I asked him nicely twice to get off, to which he just grinned and acted like he could not move. I marked my place in the book, hooked an arm under one of his legs and grabbed his ear with my other hand. Before he could react, I stood up and he hollered loudly as I carried him into another room where our mom was reading. “Mom,” I said depositing him next to her, “You need to deal with your son.” He still indignantly bemoans how “mean” I was in that instance, but he does so with a mischievous grin.
Another Top 5 list… because lists are fun!
Water – cool, but without ice
AeroPress coffee – hot, only hot, unless it is 105 outside and I still crave coffee
Peach Italian Cream Soda – I make the syrup myself
Ocean Spray Cranberry Pomegranate Juice in individual servings – drunk semi-frozen and slushy
Stash Holiday Chai with a dash of vanilla creamer – I have been heard to say “It tastes like a Christmas party in my mouth.”
What are your favorite beverages? Have you tried any of my favorites?
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these businesses and am not paid to recommend anything, I just like them. Now, if someone from one of these places offers me free stuff, discounts, etc. for saying nice things about them, I will be sure to let you know.
I do not have one favorite movie but here are my top five. My taste in movies may be a tad eclectic.
Phantom of the Opera – beautifully dramatic music, a love triangle, and rich symbolism. Be careful who you let control your mind.
Mamma Mia – upbeat Abba music, cheesy plot and dialogue, and Pierce Brosnan trying to act suave while singing terribly. It makes me laugh hard every time.
Sahara – Africa, action and adventure, and bantering buddies. Adventures like these are where inside jokes come from.
IQ – Eccentric physicists, math and science jokes, and matchmaking. With Walter Matthau as Albert Einstein how can you go wrong?
Live Free or Die Hard – the witty and tough John McClane, a sarcastic and clueless hacker, and an evil bad guy out to cause chaos. Hollywood seems to think duos can only have one sane member at a time.
What are your favorite movies?